Preparation and Submission of STS Report
- The selected undergraduate MBBS students must complete the research project and prepare a detailed report in consultation with their guide.
- Students are advised to prepare soft copies (PDF) of their reports for ONLINE submission. Reports sent by e-mail/ hard copy/ post will not be accepted.
- The report should detail only the original work carried out by the students under their Guide. The report should not give results of earlier Guides’ research/ other students’ research (MD/Ph.D thesis)/ or taken from other sources in which student was not involved. In case it is found that details have been copied/ pasted, work is not original or plagiarized the report will be rejected.
- The STS report should NOT HAVE ANY IDENTIFYING INFORMATION about the student or guide. The name of the student and the Guide and their contact details should be removed from the report and only the reference ID may be provided. The identifying information should be provided only in the ONLINE submission form. This will permit unbiased review by reviewers. Name of Medical College may also be removed however may be given only if essential for study objectives. Identifying information must also be removed from the questionnaire and informed consent form as well. Please remove the following information from the text of STS report:
The report must be in ICMR’s format and should have the following sections. You may go through instructions for Writing STS Report.
- Names of student/ guide
- Address/ contact details of student/ guide
- Tel number/s
- Email ID’s
- Acknowledgement section with individual names.
Results must be presented well in the form of graphs, figures, tables. The different sections of report should not be combined. (for e.g., Results and Discussion should not be combined). Incomplete reports/ reports not in prescribed ICMR format will be automatically rejected. Before submitting the report and other enclosures to ICMR, please refer to the STS self checklist to see if the report is complete in all aspects.
- Reference ID
- Review of literature
- Aims and Objectives
- Material and Methods
- Observations and Results
- Questionnaire/ Study Tool
- Informed Consent Format (should not contain any names)
Report should be prepared in PDF format and may be around 20-40 pages with file size upto a maximum of 3 Mb. All graphs/figures/tables should be included in the same file. Please avoid Photographs/ pictures, as they may need more space.
The report can be prepared as a single file compiling any anonymized blank format of any Performa/ questionnaire/ case record forms/ any other tools/ format of data collection sheet used for research. There is no provision for separate submission for these forms/tools.
If there are any minor changes in title, aims and objectives, sample sizes or methodology of the research, the student should provide adequate reasons/ justification in the report. The reasons will be evaluated and decision of ICMR regarding acceptance/ rejection of report will be final. Major changes will not be permitted.
After submission of report you will be able to visualize/ download your submitted details. In case required you also have an option to resubmit your report only once before the last date. Resubmission is not possible after the last date.
The STS report may be rejected/withheld under the following circumstances:
- If the STS report is not prepared as per ICMR format or if any section is not provided (for e.g. review of literature or reference not provided in the report),
- If two or more sections of ICMR format have been combined together (for e.g., results and discussions presented together, or introduction and review of literature not written separately),
- Report is incomplete or not in detail (too brief),
- Sample size is substantially reduced without adequate justification,
- Major deviations from the proposed study objectives, sample size or research plan,
- If the work is not found to be original and has been copied/pasted from other sources/ other thesis,
- If the data presented under results is found to be fictitious/ cooked up or copied,
- Appropriate Ethics committee approval has not been obtained,
- Ethics committee approval letter is dated after 15th August and does not give a minimum time of 2 months for research.
- Ethics committee approval is signed by Principal as chairperson of ethics committee/membership of ethics committee is not as per ICMR Guidelines.
- Ethical committee has given a provisional approval.
- Attestation form is not signed by authorities/not stamped/not dated/mismatch in information.
- If the student uploads identifying information in the report.
- Any other reason/s as found suitable by the reviewers.