Application Process For STS 2017
Eligibility: Please note that this program is only for undergraduate MBBS students before they appear in their final exams and therefore, interns/ PG students are not eligible to apply. Students of dental/ paramedical/ non-medical/ any other courses are not eligible.
STS is a paperless ONLINE program of the Council. Submission of STS 2017 application/proposal is a two step process:
- Registration of student details and e-mail address between 9th December 2016 to 10th January 2017 (Fill in Part A of ONLINE form).
- Submission of application/proposal along with other details between 11th January to 25th January 2017 (Fill in Part B, C & D of ONLINE form) by 03.00 pm. This date and time will not be extended.
I. REGISTRATION OF STUDENT DETAILS FOR STS – ONLINE FORM PART - A
Student Details (ONLINE Form Part-A)
- Interested students should register their e-mail address and other details (mobile number, course details, personal details) between 9th December 2016–10th January 2017.
- One student should register only once, duplicate registration will be treated as disqualification.
- The student must provide information with due care. Request for change in student information at a later date will not be acceptable.
- The student should write his/ her name in sentence case. Kindly do not prefix Mr/Ms. with your name. If selected, the stipend and certificate will be issued in the name of student as mentioned in the form.
- Kindly give the complete postal address in the application form. Changes in address at a later date will not be allowed.
- The students should also provide their contact telephone no./ mobile/ e-mail to facilitate communication.
- After registration, a password and Reference No. will be generated automatically and will be sent to the student by e-mail.
- The student will require Reference No. and e-mail id at the time of submission of project. Therefore, these must be noted down carefully. Change of e-mail will not be allowed at any stage. Only registered students will be able to submit the proposals.
- Please fill up the form carefully and check again before submission.
- A sample copy of Registration form is provided for easy reference to view requests. (click here)
II. SUBMISSION OF APPLICATION/ PROPOSAL – ONLINE FORM PART B, C, D
- Application/ submission form and research proposal must be submitted ONLINE to ICMR between 11th January 2017 to 25th January, 2017 by 3:00 pm.
- Each STS application and research proposal should be submitted along with duly filled in and attested Application Attestation Form (AAF).
- The Application Attestation Form should be filled up, signed, attested, scanned and saved as a PDF file. Application/ research proposal will not be accepted unless accompanied by Application Attestation Form.
- A student can submit only one application/ proposal on any given topic. In case a student submits more than one proposal, all proposals will be automatically rejected.
- A sample copy of submission form is provided and may be seen to view requirements (click here).
Particulars of Guide (ONLINE Form Part-B)
- Complete details including Name, Designation, Department, Medical College, Contact details including current email address to be provided. The guide may forward the application of only ONE student each year for STS program. In case more than one applications are forwarded by a guide, all applications will be automatically rejected.
Enclosures/ Attachments (ONLINE Form Part-C)
- The enclosures may be scanned and saved as PDF file for submission. Please ensure that the file size should not exceed 1 MB.
- Compulsory attachment: The submission/ proposal should be duly forwarded by the guide and college authorities. Submission of ‘Application Attestation Form’ as per format provided is compulsory with the application. The blank form can be downloaded from website and this has to be filled in and passport size photograph should be pasted by the student. This may then be signed by the Guide and attested and forwarded by the Head of the Department and the Head of the Institution/ Principal/ Dean of the Medical College (with stamp/ seal of the institution). Once the Attestation Form is signed by all, the student must scan it and save it as a PDF file. This must be uploaded at the time of ONLINE submission. Application will not be accepted unless accompanied with Application Attestation Form (AFF).
- Optional Enclosures: Student is required to obtain clearance from Institutional Ethics Committee (IEC) or an Institutional Animal Ethics Committee (IAEC) for the research. However, IEC and IAEC submission at the time of application submission is optional but mandatory along with the final report. In case IEC approval is not obtained at the time of submission of application, kindly do not submit any other document as submission of wrong documents can lead to disqualification. If the proposal/project is selected for STS Program, the student must obtain an ethical clearance before initiating research. In addition, if there are plans to use an Informed Consent Form or any Case Study Form or Questionnaire, the same may also be enclosed. Please note that submission of IEC/ IAEC certificate is mandatory at the time of STS report submission. Any research carried out without appropriate IEC/IAEC approval will be automatically rejected. The ethical approval should be taken at earliest so that there is at least two months time to complete the research and submit report. If the IEC letter is dated after 15th August the report will not be accepted. Therefore, student should ensure ethical approval is in place before beginning research.
STS Application/Proposal (ONLINE Form Part-D)
Research Proposal should be prepared in brief with the following sections-Title (upto 25 words), Introduction (upto 300 words), Objectives (upto 100 words), Methodology (upto 800 words), Implications (upto 100 words), References (upto 300 words) of the study. The word limit is flexible and provided just as a guide. The proposal should describe a brief work plan of proposed research giving a short introduction, objectives and also clearly stating the methodology giving sample size and appropriate statistical methodology, which will be used along with implications of the research study. The student may include the case report form, informed consent form or any other questionnaire also as part of project proposal or can submit them as separate attachments. The Guide should ensure that she/he selects a suitable brief topic for this studentship, which can be completed within 2 months without asking for extension. The proposal/ project should not have any identifying information of the student or guide for unbiased review by reviewers. Please remove the following information from the STS project:
- Name of the student/ guide
- Address/ contact details
- Telephone no.
- E-mail ID’s
Type of study- You will be required to identify the type of study as per following:
- Clinical Investigations
- Epidemiological Investigations
- Field Operational Research
- Health Education
- Laboratory Investigations
- Product Development
- Therapy and Management
- Any other, please specify
Subject Area- Please choose the most relevant subject area from amongst the following:
- Accident, Injuries & Trauma
- Allied Science
- Anatomy & Forensic medicine
- Bioinformatics & Biostatistics
- Child Health / Pediatrics & its Subspecialities
- Critical & Intensive Care & Nursing
- Cardiology (includes surgical areas)
- Dermatology & Venereal Diseases
- Education & Advocacy
- Ear, Nose, Throat (ENT)
- Environment & Occupational Health
- Gastroenterology & Hepatology
- Gynecology & Obestetrics
- Human Genetics
- Microbiology / Immunology / Immunization
- Nephrology & Urology
- Obesity, Nutrition & Dietitics
- Oncology, Pathology & Cytology
- Oral health
- Public Health & Epidemiology
- Pulmonology & Respiratory Medicine
- Psychology, Mental Health & Socio-Behavioural Research
- Social & Preventive Medicine
- Traditional Medicine
- Any other, please specify
Detailed Guidelines for ‘Preparing STS Proposal’ are provided on ICMR website and may be referred to for writing up the proposal.